Tuesday, August 14, 2012

MWF Seeking BFF

    Today was a trying day. I guess the universe wanted to really test me to see what I am made of. Well, good news, I survived. I also concluded my day with an hour long walk with Giselle and now listening to Of Monsters and Men with a glass of pink wine. Things are looking better now, or at least the wine tells me so!

    Some fun news is I mapped out our September road trip while at work (yes it was that kind of day). Looks like we will head into NM, then AZ, UT and back to CO, of course with stops along the way. I am very excited to see the Grand Canyon for the first time and also see some of the southwest landscape. I am up for any suggestions from those of you who have been in this area. Looking for good places to stay, eat, see etc!

    This coming weekend Árni and I will be hanging out with some new friends of ours. We will be going to brunch in Denver at a place called LuLu´s and then catching a Rockies baseball game. The Rockies are terrible this year, but it is still fun to go! So I met met this new friend through work, she is also from the south and we have a lot in common and can hold a witty intelligent conversation. So stoked! We also went to a play in Denver last week and had a good time. It is so hard to meet good girlfriends in a new city, but also so very important. Yeah yeah my husband is my best friend, I´ve heard it before, but there are just some things you need a face to face gabbing session with a friend. True fact: face to face interaction is best, followed by phone call, text, email, letter (does anyone write letters anymore?). I am totally guilty of bypassing a phone call for a quick text, or skipping out on a get together to watch some lame television at home because I'm just too lazy to shower and pry myself off the couch. So I got inspired. I'm reading a new book called MWF seeks BFF. It's a late 20 somethings quest to find a new best friend forever in a new city.. sound familiar? Caught between being too old for the college bar scene and too young for children she sets out to go one one "girl date" a week for a year on a quest to find that friend. Now I am not that inspired, but it did get me thinking about all those "We should SO get together sometime!" that never actually happen. I'll admit I don't always follow up after that statement, but I am going to start doing just that. I abhor flaky people, so I guess I should make sure I am not one! When someone says 'we should get together' I am going to set up a time. When someone says 'want to meet for ________ (insert fun activity that requires clean hair and shoes)' I will say 'Yes!'. Why shouldn't I? I don't have any children, a very loving husband who adores my social butterfly moments and ability to entertain and keep up with any conversation, and a totally flexible job. Did I also mention I live in one of the most urban hipster cool cities with loads of activities but rich with culture and outdoors exciting?! We must not sit back as wall flowers and watch the world pass us by, but jump in with both feet even if it is scary. One of the awesome things about moving to a new city is the opportunity to reinvent oneself. So I vow from now on to jump at each chance to broaden my social circle and live up the rest of my twenties to the fullest. What's that acronym YOLO (not gonna lie TOTALLY googled that one when I first saw it) YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment