Thursday, September 19, 2013

Char-grilled

 Yesterday I almost burned our apartment down. Well to be fair, Árni was a little at fault as well. We decided to grill some ribs as his parents are leaving back to Iceland tomorrow.  Árni and his father needed to do some repairs to the car. Our friends Nina and Paul are being  kind in letting us use their garage. So he put the ribs on the grill and told me to flip them in about 30 minutes and to check the temperature on the grill. If it was too hot I was to turn it down. Well not even 10 min after he left I noticed the grill was smoking an awful lot so I went to check the temperature. I opened up the grill to find flames shooting up in all directions. I immediately went to turn the burners down but the flames only grew higher. Now black smoke was blooming off the grill and our fire alarms started going off. My mil came out and started beating the flames down with a towel and I went for the main gas shut off. I feel like I was doing everything right but the flames only grew bigger! Now we are both in full panic mode and I'm trying to pull the grill away from the wall so it doesn't ignite our apartment. I call Árni and tell him I can't get the fire out ( I have an extinguisher but go figure in a state of panic I forget this), I hang up the phone and then yank the ribs off the grill thinking it was the fat burning. Well that seemed to do the trick and we got the fire out, but not before all my neighbors were on their balconies looking on as my house is wailing. Ugh, never again. I do realize I make myself sound like a total girl but I don't care, I'll leave the grilling up to him.

  This weekend we have some exciting plans. We were invited for a traditional Icelandic lamb supper at our Icelandic friends house in Denver and I am going to be attending a Saint Jude's benefit trail ride with one of my gfs. We haven't made plans for Sunday yet, perhaps we will hike since the weather is turning nice and cool. That is if there is anywhere we can find not totally washed away by all the flooding! Last summer we had fires, this summer flooding, now I'm just waiting for the blizzards to arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment