Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Love of Literature

   Growing up, I always wanted to Major in English Literature and Writing. I was a complete bookworm.One of my favorite things to do was go to the used book store with my mom and find new books to read. I also used to check out a gazillion books from the library, and usually anything I could get my hands on about horses. I would write short stories and poetry and had an imagination that wouldn't stop, and so life goes I entered the field of sciences. Looking back I'm actually not sure how that happened, one day I was trying to decipher Shakespeare and the next I was on an ambulance holding pressure on a stab wound. Working on the ambulance at the tender age of 19 was, I believe, exactly what I needed at that time. It offered a safe form of adrenalin, a fulfilling need to help others and the desire to change the world. Thus leading to my career in Nursing. I never played doctor or nurse as a little girl, yet it is still my calling. I am good at what I do, and although I may not be changing the world, I am certainly changing lives. So I suppose the blog is my outlet for writing, and I am still a bookworm, but how does one embark on such a feat as writing a novel? I read many novels and think 'Wow, what great ideas!' but where do they come from? How do I tap into that girlish imagination again? Have I had enough life experiences, do I have the time, would it even be good? It is something I'd like to accomplish in my life, but until I figure these things out I will continue to write, if even for a very small audience, and if only to keep my loved ones up to speed on life out West. So thanks to you, my readers, for giving me a reason to continue one of my passions.

No comments:

Post a Comment