Saturday, April 18, 2015

Amma and Afi's visit

    Last month Arni's parents came for a 2 week visit to meet their newest grandson. They were a great help. We had meals made for us, the house straightened up, groceries bought and built in babysitters! Steini even washed our vehicles. Arni and I are usually on top on things and anyone who has ever been a guest in our house knows we try really hard to make it a special visit, keeping the house tidy, and stocking the fridge with lots of goodies. Since having Leifur though we are totally off our game. Although things are easier than they used to be, guests should not be surprised to arrive to a crazy house with no food in the fridge! We consider it a good night if we got one load of laundry washed (not folded, that's another days work), a semi hot meal on the table, and maybe just maybe catch up on one or two episodes of Vikings. All this is usually done when the baby is napping and or bedtime. I am also happy to report Leifur is going down for naps much better than he used to so I am actually able to get a thing or two done. Up until last week or so he almost always had to be held and rocked to fall asleep and then as soon as you would try to put him down he'd wake up and we'd start the whole process over again. This usually resulted in me giving up and just holding him while he slept. A nice feeling sure, but I would get absolutely nothing done. Sleeping through the night is not happening yet, but I remain hopeful we will get there eventually. I've heard breastfed babies tend to eat more often, and I guess I am just used to it at this point. Some nights feel particularly hard, especially the ones where I have to be at work at 6am, but overall it's manageable. I actually really enjoy nursing him and anyone who knows how much difficulty I had with this in the beginning will agree this is a huge feat. At one point I didn't think I could even make it until 6 weeks and now we are 4 months and counting. I feel quite confident we will make it to our goal of one year, maybe even more who knows!
    Anyway back to the grandparents visit, Leifur absolutely adored him Amma and Afi. Baby coos and smiles all around! We went skiing a few times as well. Once we went cross country skiing and brought Leifur along with us in his chariot. I am not as good at XC as I am downhill so it is more difficult for me, but everyone seemed to have a good time. After we all had lunch at Haymaker golf course. We also got to go downhill (my favorite) twice! The first time all four of us went and our good friends watched Leifur for a few hours. This was the first time Anna Marie and Steini had skied in Colorado and the first time they had ever skied at such a big ski resort. They were amazed and shocked at how many ski trails there were. It was my first time downhill skiing since last season before I got pregnant, and it was thrilling! I forgot how much I missed it and how exciting it feels to race downhill, skies cutting through the powder, cold wind slapping your face and the throbbing on adrenaline in your veins. Make you want to ski? Well it should! Arni and I got to go one more time just the two of us while the in-laws watched the baby. Little by little we feel we are getting our old selves back, well, even better we are getting our old lifestyle back with a bonus! Life is GOOD!















No comments:

Post a Comment