Monday, December 6, 2010

spider pig spider pig

::insert family guy reference::

So we had a great weekend. The hubs and I started Saturday out by going to my yoga studio's running club at 745am. I ran 2.5 miles, Arni ran 5 and then we finished off with 1.5 hour hot yoga. Great healthy way to start off our weekend! Guess we are preparing to be one of the granola folk out in CO! I do yoga almost every day that I have off, while Arni only does it occasionally with me as he loathes the heat ;) Well, yoga is good for the body and good for the soul, BUT there are some peculiar people who do yoga. So Arni always gets some new experience when he comes with me. For example: there is this one guy, maybe mid 20's who feels the need to yell "CHATURANGA!!" every time we do a chaturanga, he also wears prayer beads and drinks from a camel pack.... see peculiar. So Saturday we had a new experience that was not only annoying but mildly amusing. A woman, mid 40's, decided to take the "yoga breath" to an extreme. Just for some background, yoga is very much about the breath and controlling and warming it. The instructor encourages you to breath in and out through yours nose, and to warm your breath with the back of your throat. When done correctly, it produces  a soft breathy sigh. This is actually a difficult thing to do as in vinyasa yoga, you breath heavily because your heart rate is up. Well, anyway this woman we will call her "Huffy" was breathing in and out so incedibly loud that she sounded like a dragon breathing fire! My husband looked over at me in the mirror and gave me the "Are you kidding me!?" look and I all but lost it! The thing that kills me was she was the ONLY ONE who was breathing like that out of a room of 25 people! Seriously lady, don't you hear yourself?? I have been practicing yoga now for about 5 months thanks to my good friend Debbie, who took me to my first real class. I still have so far to go, but I find myself getting super excited when suddenly I can do a pose that I couldn't do before, even if I am doing it horribly! My first mile stone was the headstand. Not that I was ever lacking strength for this, but I had to get over the fear of falling. Once I let that notion go, I was successful! Since that defining moment I have tried more things I was scared to do. I held a crow for like 3 seconds, and got into a halfway bird of paradise on the right leg.. SUCCESS!! The point of this is that sometimes it takes mentally proving to yourself before you get there physically. Yoga has seriously changed my life, and I'm so thankful for the time I get to spend on my mat =)

As for the rest of the weekend we went to a bonfire Christmas party with my coworkers, drank to much, ate too much, had some good laughs, rode a four wheeler and electric triceratops, and lost Tessa in the woods! Hell of a party! On Sunday our sweet friend Beth had a Spiderman themed birthday party for her son Ben, who turned four. Beth is one talented lady, as you should have seen the amazing Spidey cake she made! Arni and I made the mistake overestimation of buying Ben a real life web thrower, equip with blue "web" aka silly string. First off let me say my poor Icelandic husband had not one clue what silly string was! Sheltered I tell ya! Anyway Ben thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, ESPECIALLY when he was shooting it all over Beth's ceilings.. oops! Sorry Beth! At least she thought it was funny, and Arni cleaned off her ceilings after Spiderman was all out of web. However there may or may not be a permanent blue stain on the ceiling >< 
We also made traditional Icelandic pancakes Sunday morning for our friends Ally, Joe and Joe's son Jacob. Jacob is I believe 5 or 6 years old. He has met me many times before, but usually plays shy and doesn't talk to me. Not the case this time! He was a little chatterbox! More proof that the way to a mans heart is through is stomach, or through pancakes more specifically! We just had a fantastic weekend overall! We have such amazing friends who we are truly going to miss dearly. Hoping  they will all come visit us to get their snow fix!

Oh, and this is my LAST week at work. Thursday and thats it!

No comments:

Post a Comment