Saturday, October 6, 2012

You can never be overdressed or overeducated

Currently I am in Florida. I am having a great time and will post some pictures in a future blog. Before I get too behind on my blogging I thought I would post a few pictures from last weekend. Friday night we entertained some friends for an Icelandic dinner and games. Erin, our friend, was actually born in Iceland. She was born on the American naval base in Keflavík back in the 80s. She does not remember much of her time in Iceland but her parents like to tell her many stories of their time on the Rock. So we decided to treat her and her husband to a little reminder with food, alcohol and music from my Viking's homeland. They brought a game called catch phase and boy what fun that was! We laughed and the wine flowed until late into the night. It is so refreshing to find a couple who likes to laugh and you can tell that they genuinely like to be in each other's company. I had to give Erin her departure pineapple (apparently a thing they do in New Orleans when it's time for someone to leave, place a pineapple on the table). Obviously it was a joke and I got a funny picture out of it!

  In Denver this past weekend was an Icelandic festival. It was put on by Icelandair since there is now a direct flight to and from Iceland. The only part we attended was an Icelandic dinner at a place called Coohills. It was called Taste of Iceland, a four-day cultural festival showcasing the island nation’s food, music and film. Dinner was AH-MAZING and all the ingredients were shipped in fresh from Iceland and prepared by famous chef
Hákon Már Örvarsson (click highlighted for more info on him). We got together with our Icelandic friends and had a smashing time. We were even visited by the chef himself who thanked us for coming in and of course we showered him with genuine compliments on tye spread he prepared. As I conclude this post I'd like to reflect on my time here in Florida, where I was born and raised, and my current home in Colorado. There are certainly things I do appreciate and miss about "home" but the longer I am away the more Colorado is my home now. Everything about Colorado suites our lifestyle and Florida or the south in general for that matter seems very foreign to me. I'm sure I will come to terms with this and be able to appreciate Florida for what it is. Until then I think everyone should come visit me! :-)








No comments:

Post a Comment